The International Conference on Evolving Cities (ICEC 2023) will be held as a hybrid event in the newly built University of Southampton Centenary Building (B100) situated in the Highfield Campus at the University of Southampton, in Southampton, UK. Located near the green spaces of Southampton Common, the state-of-the-art centre of teaching and learning is the University’s newest building that has been named in celebration of 100 years of teaching at Highfield Campus.
The venue is served by the local bus network (including UniLink and BlueStar) within close proximity to Southampton Central Train Station and the National Express Bus Station – both of which have direct links to Heathrow and Gatwick International Airport. The area is also close to Southampton International Airport and the Southampton Airport Parkway Station.
Southampton International Airport is a short bus ride from the Boldrewood Innovation Campus (Unilink bus: U1, £2.20 single/£3.70 all-day pass) or taxi (usually around £5-10), off junction 5 of the M27. There are flights to Southampton from UK airports, mainland Europe and the Channel Islands.
London Heathrow Airport is just over 60 miles from Southampton. You can catch a National Express coach direct to Southampton from the central bus station, located close to Terminals 1, 2 and 3. You can also travel by train from Heathrow to Paddington in central London. From London, you can take a train to Southampton. For more details see the National Rail website.
London Gatwick Airport is nearly 90 miles from Southampton. You can catch a National Express coach direct to Southampton Coach Station. You can also catch a direct train from Gatwick Airport to Southampton Central. For more details see the National Rail website.
Taxis to/from London airports
The following local companies provide a taxi service between Southampton and the London airports:
- Postcode for satnav: SO17 1BJ
- The University of Southampton has a small dedicated Visitor Car Park on Highfield Campus. Spaces are pre-booked for parking between 9:00-17:00 Monday-Friday. Please visit the UoS site for further details.
- There is also a 100 space Pay and Display Car Park at Highfield Campus for use by visitors operating on a first come, first served, bases with the ticket machine only taking card and contactless payments. For further infromation please visit the UoS Pay and Display parking page. Please note that it can fill up very quickly during the morning.
- From the M3: Exit at junction 14 taking the 2nd exit at Chilworth Roundabout onto the A33 (Bassett Ave.) turning left onto A35 (Burgess Road) driving past the Shell garage turning right into University Road.
- From the M27: Exit at junction 5 – follow the A335 through 2 sets of traffic lights and turn right at the 3rd set of lights onto A35 (Burgess Road) turning left onto University Road.
Fast trains from London and Bournemouth/Weymouth stop at Southampton Central and Southampton Airport Parkway. Trains from Portsmouth and Bristol/South Wales stop at Southampton Central. There are also regular trains from major airports such as Gatwick and Heathrow to Southampton Central. From Gatwick there are direct trains to Southampton Central Train Station. From Heathrow, take the bus to Clapham Junction and then take the direct train to Southampton Central Train Station. Details of routes and timetables can be found on the National Rail website.
The Campus is is 2.4 miles from Southampton Central Train Station, and 2.3 miles from Southampton Airport Parkway. You can get the Unilink bus: U1 from either of these stations to the venue with a taxi rank outside both stations.
By Bus or Coach
National Express provides regular coach services to Southampton from central London, Heathrow, Birmingham, Bournemouth and the north. The University of Southampton, Burgess Road, bus stop at building 45 is within a short walk of the venue
The Campus is easily accessible using our Unilink bus service. Unilink buses go from Southampton Airport, Southampton Central Train Station, the city centre, the National Oceanography Centre and Southampton General Hospital. You can find timetables and route maps on the Unilink website.The Unilink bus fare is £2.20 for a single or £3.70 for an all-day pass.